What should you and your partner discuss before you get married?
1. Discuss each other's financial position in detail. What do you earn individually? How much combined debt do you have? What are your monthly commitments?
2. Will we be married in or out of community of property?
3. Are there costs we can avoid once we're married? By avoiding duplications like bank charges, for instance
4. How will you manage your finances once you are married? Will each of you be responsible for certain payments, or will all the payments be made from one account?
5. Who should manage the bills? Who is the impulsive spender? Who's the disciplined person? Who'll handle administration?